switching from vga to interactive text mode without exiting

Search this archive.

From: Jason (jason@jnj.org)
Date: Wed 19 Sep 2001 - 02:28:00 IDT

howdy

I have an svgalib app and I'd like, based on user input, to switch back
to text mode do some printf's and fgets's with input from the user.

so I'm doing, basically:

/* working in a vga mode to this point */
char tmp[256];
keyboard_close();
vga_setmode(TEXT);

printf("foo: ");
scanf("%s", tmp);

vga_setmode(MYVGAMODE);
keyboard_init();
/* back to vga mode */

but I don't see the printf stuff until I quit the app alltogether, and
the scanf does into the ether.

If this sounds stupid, it's a simplification.  What I really need is for
my svgalib app to run another svgalib app, wait for it to exit, and then
resume operations.  the second app may need user input.  Trying this has the
same result as the above.

btw, how does one join this list?

--
Jason Burnett