Re: Refresh rates

Search this archive.

From: Tijs van Bakel (smoke@wanadoo.nl)
Date: Tue 29 May 2001 - 19:44:19 IDT

James <james@jigsawdezign.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I`m using mode 10 (640 x 480, 8bpp) in one of my games, and on my system
> my monitor says that the refresh rate in this mode is 60Hz... Is the
> same refresh rate guaranteed to be the same on ther systems in this
> mode? this is important, as movement rate in my game is controlled by
> the frame rate(no clever time difference stuff here!!!)  8)

if your game is supposed to run in X11 or some other display target as
well someday, then you can't count on this to be true.

you can only require that people use a standard VESA mode, but many
cards do not support this.  it seems that you have to write the clever
time difference stuff after all :)

what kind of game is it?  some types of games make this very hard,
some don't.

--
Tijs van Bakel, <smoke@wanadoo.nl>