Re: Input Lockouts

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Sat 26 May 2001 - 22:58:27 IDT

On Sat, 26 May 2001, James wrote:

> However sometimes when switching modes my
> keyboard and mouse seem to lockup and accept no input (even if using no
> vga input routines), to get my system back i have to telnet to my
> machine and kill the running process, and all is then ok. Seems to
> happen to me on anyvideo mode, about 1 in 20 times i run something. Am
> i not initialising something properly or what?

Are you sure the keyboard is locked? Is sysrq working at that stage?
Can you try to write a minimal example program that shows this issue?

> I`m using mode 10 (640 x 480, 8bpp) in one of my games, and on my
> system my monitor says that the refresh rate in this mode is 60Hz...
> Is the same refresh rate guaranteed to be the same on ther systems
> in this mode? this is important, as movement rate in my game is
> controlled by the frame rate(no clever time difference stuff

This is not necessarily a reasonable thing to do in a program that you
want to distribute. The mode might not be available (for example in
fixed frequency monitors, LCDs). But look in the demo program svidtune
how to force a specific mode timing.