Re: hr7.1, matrox g450, cannot open /dev/svga

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Tue 24 Apr 2001 - 17:17:40 IDT

> I get this error with svgalib 1.9.5-5
>
> svgalib: Cannot open /dev/svga
>
> It happens when i try to start "./qf-client-svga"
> Thats a quakeforge client.
>
> I tried 'insmod svgalib_helper'
> But i get the error that it is for a other kernel version.
> There is no svgalib_helper.o in /lib/modules/2.4.2-2

This is certainly some sort of RedHat bug. Also, I don't know why they
chose to use 1.9.5 (which is defined to be pre-alpha).

> I have Red Hat 7.1 just installed
> Kernel 2.4.2-2
> svgalib 1.9.5-5 and svgalib-devel 1.9.5-5 installed
> The videocard is a Matrox G450
> Mainboard Asus cusl2-c
>
> Any idea how to solve this ??

In any case, G450 is not supported in 1.9.5.
What you need to do is:

* Download the latest version (1.9.8 or 1.4.3-pre) from
  http://www.svgalib.org.
* Install by running make installsharedlib, which will only install the
  shared libraries, not include files and man pages which are already
  installed.

Notes:

This will probably remove the binaries of the libc5 linked svgalib, so
you might want to reinstall them later (on Mandrake that's in package
libc-5.3.12-34mdk.i586.rpm

If you choose 1.9.8, you also need to install the driver. Change to
directory kernel/svgalib_helper, make sure that the headers of the
kernel you are running are in /use/src/linux/include (or edit the
makefile for INCLUDEDIR to point to the correct headers, and type
make. You might also need to do make device, in case /dev/svga is not
the correct device node.