Re:How to debug program

Search this archive.

From: Mochinushi Shingo (d00l001@ex.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp)
Date: Tue 24 Apr 2001 - 03:18:00 IDT

    Dear Dr. Michael Weller,

    Thank you very much for your good advice to my question.
I read your advice and thought that by redirecting stdin and
stdout of the gdb debugger to my serial terminal (/dev/ttyS0),
I can communicate with debugger program. Then I tried this
method.

    First, I stopped a getty process which monitors serial port
(/dev/ttyS0), bacause a getty process interfares communication
with debugger program.

    Second, I redirected input and output devices for debugger
program to /dev/ttyS0 which is serial terminal.
For example:

[root@kiev45 demos]$ cat /dev/ttyS0 | gdb foo > /dev/ttyS0

    After debugging, I send 'quit' command to the debugger
from serial terminal, and terminated 'cat /dev/ttyS0' process
by sending a TERM signal from console.  Then a command prompt
returned to console!

                            Sincerely yours,
                                Shingo Mochinushi
                       (d00l001@ex.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp)