Makefile size

Search this archive.

From: James Kennedy (jsquarek@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri 30 Mar 2001 - 20:01:03 IST

Now that I have a program running using the svgalib, I am starting to look at the Makefile for various reasons.

  Does it really have to be so big?

  Did the Makefile grow like topsy and has become quite different from what it would look like if started from scratch?

  Would anyone be interested in going back to square one:

     1.  Take the simplest demo program and set it up so that
          gcc can compile it directly without any Makefile.

     2.   Take that program which compiles without using
           Makefile and build the simplest possible Makefile
           to service it and it alone, making reasonable
           assumptions as to the resources the user is likely
           to apply to compiling process.

  Alternatively, would anyone be interested in decrementally
getting all the excess baggage out of the present Makefile?