Re: Too much errors installing under RedHat 7

Search this archive.

From: Tony Nugent (tony@growzone.com.au)
Date: Sat 17 Mar 2001 - 15:40:48 IST

On Fri Mar 16 2001 at 11:02, "Hiper M.A.R." wrote:

> I'm getting too much errors while compiling under RedHat 7.
> Being a newbie, it becomes too dificult...
> Could anyone send me by e-mail (hipermar@esoterica.pt), the package after
> all corrections made, please...
> I know I'm asking too much,..., but forgive me, help me...
> Thanks.

Building svgalib from a tarball on a redhat box is tricky.  If you
have to do that, then *remove* all traces of the installed version
with something like "rpm -e --nodeps $(rpm -qa | grep svgalib-)". If
you don't do this, then the makefile will gleefuly go and delete the
installed libraries anyway. Then be aware that once the new files
that are "make install'ed" are no longer managed in the rpm
database.

  (This is one thing that's always bugged me about svgalib - the
  makefile assumes that it can go ahead and stomp around on things
  in the main filesystem to achieve what it needs to do.  Very
  nasty... I've seen no other package build like this, and I really
  can't see why it would be so necessary - except for historical
  reasons :)

Perhaps the best way to rebuild svgalib on a redhat box is to:

- install the .src.rpm for svgalib
- drop the new svgalib source tarball into /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/
- edit the .spec file as appropriate in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/ so
  that it refers to your new source file
- try to build it with "rpm -ba svgalib.spec" and see what happens.

If the compile is done using rpm with a .spec file, then the build
will happen in an environment that is less likely for the build to
fail, and your installation will not be disturbed in the process.

With the new sources, the build is sure to start failing when things
like patches are applied, but with a bit of experimentation and
further hacking it would be possible to get it to work.  I've done
it a couple of times in the past myself and it has worked quite well
to allow me to build and test beta versions.

But if what I've said above here is not familiar to you, then you'll
need to start reading about using rpm to build rpm files (in the
redhat documentation).

Good luck.

Cheers
Tony