RE: libm.so.5 not found

Search this archive.

From: Mark Orr (markorr@intersurf.com)
Date: Sat 10 Feb 2001 - 00:29:42 IST

On 09-Feb-2001 Jeffrey Lane Joiner wrote:
> I just tried to compile the tutorial, and got a message about libm.so.5
> not found.
> I used locate, and found libm.so & libm.so.6 on my system.
>
> Does this mean I've got to recompile the SVGA library source in order to
> use
> the library on my system?  NOTE:  I am a newbie to LINUX; please keep it
> simple.

It means that you downloaded a SVGAlib binary compiled against
the old libc (i.e.  libc 5, used by Redhat 5 and other distros).

You should be able to find a more recent binary compiled against
libc6.

Alternately (and preferably) you could also get the sources and
compile them yourself.  Provided you have a compiler installed and
working, it's not hard.    It shouldnt require any more than to
unpack the source, cd into it, (maybe edit Makefile.cfg to set
BACKGROUND to N, or comment it out),  and type make install to
compile it and set it up.