linear addressing svga

Search this archive.

From: daniel sheltraw (l5gibson@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed 31 Jan 2001 - 08:14:13 IST

Hello Matan and SVGAlibers

I have used SVGAlib to set the vga video mode to 320x200x256. I then
use a kernel module to directly write bitmapped images to the screen
in this mode (writing to the address given by
phys_to_virt(0xA0000)). All worked well. Now I want to change
to the higher resolution graphics mode 640x480x256 and use my
kernel module to again write directly to the VRAM. I am having
trouble getting this to work.

To test that my machine supports linear addressing I did a "force chipset"
to VESA and wrote a SVGAlib program using
vga_setlinearaddressing() and gl_putbox(). This all worked OK
so I then tried to write to the VRAM with my kernel module. My
machine just locked up with a white screen. The address I wrote
to was that given by phys_to_virt(0xFD000000) which /proc/pci
says to be prefetchable memory.

Should I be using the prefetchable memory? Any suggestions on
how to get this to work?

Thanks a heap,
Daniel