Re: modex/rage128

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Mon 29 Jan 2001 - 23:41:54 IST

> Hello, I am Ryan "Ark" Rubley, I wrote the trident 94xx/96xx extensions
> back a long time ago, and now I am interested in writing svgalib drivers
> from scratch for the ATI Rage128/Rage128pro chipset cards (these cards
> exist in 30+ machines at my university, and are limited to 320x240 for
> console applications .. yeah quake2 ;)

Doesn't XFree86 4 with hardware accelerated glx on rage 128 work with
quake2?

> I just now put together a quicky 400x300x256 mode-X driver that works
> great with Quake2, and would like to submit this to svgalib, however it
> would require two tiny changes to each existing driver (where they check
> for <640x480x256||hercules mode to pass thru to the vga driver)

It is a problem to integrate such a mode. How does Quake2 recognize
it? Maybe it is best to have a config file option to let this mode take
over an old mode (G640x200x16 for example)?
A different solution is for the vga driver to support mode 55
(G400x300x256), and so if a native chipset driver is running the modeX
400x300 won't be available, but a linear 400x300 might be. This means
the application needs to check if the mode is modeX. Does quake2 do
that?

> I have begun work on a Rage128 driver and would like to know if anybody
> else is working on this chipset, or if anybody else is interested in
> working with me on this project?

I am working on this driver. I actually finished writing it. All that
is left is to put the card in the computer and see why it does not
work :-).
I just finished debugging the G450 driver, so the R128 is the next thing
tomorrow morning.
You can see my code (compiles, not tested) at
http://www.arava.co.il/matan/svgalib/r128.c and
http://www.arava.co.il/matan/svgalib/r128_reg.h