Re: Direct access to paged Video ram

Search this archive.

From: Richard A. Smith (rsmith@bitworks.com)
Date: Tue 07 Nov 2000 - 02:31:49 IST

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:57:32 +0200 (IST), matan@svgalib.org wrote:

>vga_drawpixel is certainly too slow. vga_drawscanline is almost as fast as
>can be.

Yeah but you can still see it draw... I need to totally draw in video memory and then flip
to that section.

>It is possible that your speed problem relates to incorrect MTRR setting.
>Try running linearspeed and speedtest, and see what rates you get. on PCI,
>anything under 60MB/s might mean incorrect configuration.

lineartest
	Video:  49,230k
	system: 246,153k

speedtest:   49,230k

This is on the machine with an ATI Rage Pro (mach64).

However my target is a 586 Class embedded chip from ST called the STPC and it dosen't
support MTRR.  Unfortunaly I can't run the the tests on the target right now as our
prototype left for a demo.

>There might be problems with vga_getgraphmem. Please try using the
>variable graph_mem instead.

Same result.

I seem to have figured out how to to gl_copyscreen by looking at the fun.c demo except that
in my application is MUCH slower than vga_drawscanline.  :(  dunno..  I set it up just like
fun.c.  Fun.c appears to run nice and speedy with a frame rate of 6.9 and 7.  However when I
comment out USE_PAGEFLIPPING it makes no speed difference.

Oh and for some reason fun dies with a segfault if I try to run it in 640x480x256 but
1024x768x256 works.

It also looks like vga_setdisplaystart might do what I wan't but I am not sure how to go
about using it.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith@bitworks.com               501.846.5777