Re: first post

Search this archive.

From: Bart Oldeman (Bart.Oldeman@bristol.ac.uk)
Date: Sun 05 Nov 2000 - 15:23:25 IST

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Tom Nicholson Local wrote:

> 2. I decided next to try compiling the source so I d/l'ed source for 1.4.2
> from svgalib.org site, extracted and make install'ed it. First make bombed
> because it tried to put something in /usr/local/include and there was no
> such directory as include under /usr/local. So I created the include dir and
> re-compiled. This time everything seemed ok. Various warnings from time to
> time but no errors that I saw.

That means your library is in /usr/local/lib

> 3. Re-compiled sample.c and compiling worked, but execution failed with
> message above. I also ---
>
> 4. Read the docs and web faq.
> 5. Verified that ./sample is chmod +x (I'm working as root from paranoia.)
As normal user you'll have to do

> 6. Looked at the mailing list archive.
> 7. Ran ldconfig.

You can see what libraries the program is dynamically linked to with
ldd sample

It could well be that it cannot find /usr/local/lib/libvga.so.1.4.2 at
this stage either. If that is the case, add
/usr/local/lib
(a line in the file) to /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig.

For children's programming, maybe svgalib+C (and root!) is too
heavyweight. You could also e.g. look at python+tkinter and its turtle
module. But of course this depends on the child.

I hope this helps,
Bart