Re: Need FreeBSD wizard for zgv port (long)

Search this archive.

From: Russell Marks (russell.marks@ntlworld.com)
Date: Sun 15 Oct 2000 - 15:53:16 IST

> RM> It's possibly a little odd to post a reply on linux-svgalib, but I
> RM> didn't want people to think I'd just ignored this. :-)
>
> There isn't a freebsd-svgalib mailing list and the FreeBSD port is less
> than a month old (not even mouses yet). (Besides svgalib is heresy
> on the freebsd lists.)

You may have read that too quickly. I was actually explaining why *my
response* (hence "reply") was public rather than private. I wasn't
complaining about your post.

> >> I get [zgv] to work from a ttyv that root is signed into, and it is
> >> swift, beautiful, wonderful, etc.  But it
>
> RM> Nooooo! What did you do to it!? :-)
>
> It is wonderful, especially the way it handles animated gifs.

You can thank Matan for that. I appreciate the need for it now (since,
apparently, quite a few people use zgv from lynx), but I was quite
opposed to it initially. :-)

> Well, I discovered when I tested for the right major mode (a
> FreeBSD ttyv is 12) we branched out before we got to this point
> and my argument was really with svgalib, not zgv.  I hacked
> the ID test out of svgalib 8^} and everything works great, I ditch

Ok. You should probably try and restore that (or rewrite that bit) at
some point though. You don't want people remotely logging in and
starting zgv or whatever.

> >> # Requires gawk (it uses `gensub' (gawk only?) and `[:blank:]'
> >> (POSIX)).
>
> I did it both ways and didn't notice a problem.  But then I don't

Hmm. Are you sure it was *really* not using gawk?

> Probably I won't be porting this to FreeBSD because they are afraid
> the commies are going to come in through svgalib as it was and

LOL. I'm tempted to quote Matan's .sig from about 18 months ago. :-)

> they will be very nasty if I admit to hacking it.  Of course, they
> think everyone is running a major net server that controls NORAD

You realise now I have to kill you. ;-)

> and don't get it that some people run FreeBSD at home where security
> is a beagle that will nip anyone else who tries to su root

Heh. Well, zgv isn't actually all that bad on the security front these
days [1], but I suppose if The Powers That Be are unhappy about it (or
svgalib) I suppose that isn't the easiest of things to overcome.

> >> line 31: delete src/install-info from src:
[...]
> RM> True enough, but what's the problem?
>
> It pukes on the FreeBSD getopts.h -- although there are unfortunately
> a lot of totally unrelated headers that have the name getopts.

I presume you mean getopt.h, since that's what install-info.c seems to
include. I can't see why the header file should cause a problem,
though I know from experience with xzgv that install-info.c does
require the GNU getopt_long(), and the way it's dealt with in zgv
implicitly assumes that that will be in the libc. I expect that's the
real problem...?

> RM> [1] With `old' here meaning `you *do* realise that zgv dates back
> RM> to 1993, right?'. :-) ^Z
>
> 1993 -- when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Closely followed by marauding ^Zs, apparently. :-) Hopefully this mail
should be lacking that. (Serves me right for (ab)using mtools, I
suppose... [2])

-Rus.

[1] It has been in the past, though AFAIK it's never been exploitable
by anyone who isn't logged in at the console - largely due to that
check you just removed. ;-)

[2] My box isn't networked, I use another for net access, floppy disks
are involved, I have a kludgey semi-automated scheme for dealing with
mail, and so on. [3] Don't have nightmares. :-)

[3] I read recently that RMS does something a bit like this for mail,
so he can deal with it on the move. So at least I'm not the only one
crazy enough to be doing this sort of stuff...