Re: svgalib + framebuffer

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Sun 25 Jun 2000 - 12:30:06 IDT

> I'm just wondering if svgalib is now, or will soon be, able to work
> with framebuffer text modes (that are set using the kernel's
> framebuffer device at bootup, eg, "vga="791").

Theoretically it should work now.

> Last time I tried using svgalib apps from framebuffered consoles, it
> failed to restore the framebuffer mode (resulting in an

This should not happen. If it does (and not with vesa), it is a driver
problem. Please report to the author of the driver.

> unrecoverable blank screen - fumbling around in the dark, doing
> "startx" saved me from a potential hard reboot and at least gave me
> a working user interface :)

If you are using a real fb driver (not vesafb), then fbset (or switching
vc) should solve the problem.

I don't use fbright now, but I got some reports of svgalib interacting
well with fb.