Re: [Callug-general] Commercial game for Linux

Search this archive.

From: Jay Link (jlink@interlink-bbs.com)
Date: Tue 23 May 2000 - 15:17:04 IDT

> Is SVGAlib really a practical way to display graphics these days?  Last
> time I used it (given, more that a year ago... more like 2) its support
> for graphics hardware was extremely limited and would induce full system
> crashes any systems it did not support. SDL seems to be the preferred
> way of doing games and such these days.

Hi everyone. Thanks for writing.

SVGAlib has had the VESA driver for at least a year, which is a generic
driver that supports many, many cards.

Plus, people are coding additional hardware-specific drivers, too.

SDL, GGI -- there's always *something* that's going to bury SVGAlib. But
then it doesn't. I like SVGAlib because it's established, many people have
it, and it's already got a lot of neat games & utilities. It's easy to
use, and I think it's fun.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter if one graphics package is "better" than
another, so long as they all work. This is like the "distribution wars".
Ok, so maybe one distro is more newbie-friendly than another. But the real
question is, what are you doing with Linux AFTER it's installed?

And the same goes with graphics libraries.

Regards,

-Jay Link