"Layers" in SVGAlib

Search this archive.

From: Jay Link (jlink@interlink-bbs.com)
Date: Wed 16 Feb 2000 - 14:17:57 IST

>> I am thinking of seperate levels - like a background
>> level, a foreground level, another level, and a mouse level,
>> for example...
>> And you can write to each level and read from each level -

> Yes. They're called layers I think. And I don't think svgalib
> has a supprt for them, though it would be possible in a
> separate library. If you don't want to support tansparency
> you could probably do it by build areas in memory as copying
> the pixels when you want the result displayed.

I agree. You have gl's framebuffer, as well as the ability to make your
own (sort of) with gl_getbox(). You can then copy the relevant sections of
your in-memory "layers" to the physical screen as needed. You won't be
able to remove these layers in the future, but you can always overwrite
them, using the info stored in memory.

This is how I handle pop-up windows, where a temporary message appears,
and then the background is restored.

HTH,

-JL