Re: svgalib/ggi

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Tue 15 Feb 2000 - 04:46:59 IST

> > About ggi - look at the svgalib faq that is distributed in the svgalib
> > package (Q7).
>
> Just out of interest, what do people think about ggi these days? I ask
> from the perspective of not knowing much more about it than that FAQ
> says. :-) I understand the `wrapper' to convert svgalib programs to
> ggi ones isn't so hot though.

I think that the answer Michael wrote (two or three years) ago is pretty
much applicable today. Plus the fact that ggi people seem to broaden
the scope of their library every once in a while (3d, input, ...) and
also seem to completely change the kgi driver model every once in a
while (which requires rewrite of all drivers), which is why they have
very few working drivers after all those years.
ggi is at www.ggi-project.org, so you can check for yourself (there are
mailing lists archives).

> > About cga and mda cards, svgalib has no support for them. It does not
> > make sense to add support, as no current svgalib program will work,
>
> With respect, while svgalib should certainly not have *anything* to do
> with CGA/MDA (*shudder*), it might be nice if something like this was

I use MDA with my celeron, nothing special about that.
I also used for a few months a 386 with mda to write my papers, so an
svgalib equivalent could be nice. I had to use X, though.

> FWIW though, in case it's relevant, I should point out you have
> virtually zero chance of existing svgalib programs running in ELKS,
> even if you could port svgalib or VGAlib - they're too big. Last I
> heard ELKS programs were 64k code + 64k data max, rather like real
> mode Minix. I don't think they have shared libraries either (?), so
> you'd want to keep any library small.

I don't even know if they use the same binary format, I just said that
if you keep api close to svgalib, then porting apps should be easier,
which is true in a general way.

> > since svgalib has no 2 bit color modes. If you design a library for
>
> Are you sure? From vga.h:
>
> > #define G640x480x2   9

2 is number of colors, so 640x480x2 is 1 bit color.

> > console graphics on CGA, it might make sense to have an API similar to
> > svgalib, to facilitate porting of programs (such as ghostscript,
> > tmview).
>
> ghostscript!? I think you really must have missed the ELKS bit. It's
> just too big, alas (and the slowness would be mind-blowing). Not sure
> about tmview, but that seems fairly unlikely too. And FWIW, zgv is
> *right out*. :-)

I'm sure they will get beyond the 64K limit sometime.
I remember writing a simple postscript interpreter for a spectrum
(+2, but there are segmenting issues as well).