Continuing Problems

Search this archive.

From: Tim Butler (ee62tb@eim.surrey.ac.uk)
Date: Mon 31 Jan 2000 - 19:51:07 IST

Thanks very much for your help.  It solved the problem, but I have another
one.  I now get the problem (3) as listed in the FAQ.  I've followed the
instructions (I think) but I still get the error message:

$ ls -l
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root ...  test

$ ./test
You must be the owner of the current console to use svgalib.
svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions
$

Here's what I've done to try and fix the problem:

o login as root
o edit Makefile.cgf to include:
   USE_GLIBC = yes
   ROOT_VC_SHORTCUT = y
o $ make clean
o $ make install

I do get a small error at the end of making:

make: ldconfig: Command not found
make: *** [installsharedlib] Error 127

When trying to run my test program I got:

./test: error in loading shared libraries: libvgagl.so.1

so by doing (in /lib as root):

$ ln -s libvgagl.so.1.3.1 libvgagl.so.1
$ ln -s libvga.so.1.3.1 libvga.so.1

I am able to run my test program.  But I can still only run it as root!
When I run it as a normal user I just get that first error message again.
:-(

TIA

Tim.