Re: SVGAlib Problem

Search this archive.

From: Karl Koehler (koehler@or.uni-bonn.de)
Date: Thu 27 Jan 2000 - 18:53:03 IST

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Tim Butler wrote:

> The program will run if I'm logged in as root, but NOT if I've done the
> chmod u+s
>
> ie.
>
> -rwxr-xr-x tim.users    will run from a root account but
> -rwsr-xr-x tim.users    will NOT
Yes, the program needs to be setuid root, not setuid tim.
Now _everybody_ who runs this program has the permissions of tim,
which is not sufficent to open /dev/console and whatever else is needs.

Things ought to also work  if you create a console group, chmod the
devices to allow console-group members to read/write them and add yourself to
that group.

Karl