Flyback

Search this archive.

From: Neil Stewart (neil.stewart@warwick.ac.uk)
Date: Sun 09 Jan 2000 - 21:35:43 IST

Hello,

I am an experimental psychologist using who is trying to use Linux to write
programs to measure people's psychophysical responses.  This involves
displaying a stimulus on the screen, and measuring the time it takes people
to press a key.

I need a way to control the copying from a virtual screen to the physical
screen (using gl_copyscreen() or the like) so that copying takes place
during the time the monitor's electron beam is moving from the bottom right
of the screen back to the top left corner of the screen to begin redrawing
(the flyback time).

Can you tell me whether this is done automatically in the copying routines?
If it is not, are there any functions I can use to either report the
position of the beam, or that wait for the beam to reach the bottom right
corner of the screen before returning?

Thank you very much for your time and help,

Neil Stewart
University of Warwick
England