Re: if (svgalib && opengl) { how(); }

Search this archive.

From: Martijn van Oosterhout (kleptog@cupid.suninternet.com)
Date: Tue 04 Jan 2000 - 12:34:57 IST

Clive Crous wrote:

> Are there opengl extensions for svgalib ???
> Is there an opengl (straight, not thru mesa etc ) lib ?
>     ( I need something that can be ported with min. effort )
> Are there any decent opengl tutorials ?

Not AFAIK. Mesa is targetted at X specifically. This has the
advantage the client program doesn't need direct access to the
hardware. In theory one could write a GLX type thing to fool
Mesa but you still need the hardware support, which sadly to
say is completely missing.

XFree 4.0 will support video cards as loadable modules.
<DREAM>Maybe svgalib will be able to load these.</DREAM>
That would immediately fix the hardware support problem.

> reason for this :
>
>     I recently added a 3d accelerator to my lil box, and as i have almost
> completed a 3d engine i am working on, i would like to add 3d acc. support
> for it.

Well, that's an interesting problem. AFAIK Mesa is the only
OpenGL-like implementation available and it only targets X.
Maybe you could try to make Mesa work in DGA mode in X. If you
*really* want to avoid X, I would say there is no solution
available right now.

I wonder how GGI relates to OpenGL.

Martijn