Re: 3D Accelerator

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@svgalib.org)
Date: Thu 30 Dec 1999 - 19:10:15 IST

> I'm planning to buy a 3D accelerator for my celeron 433 @home, but I though
> it would be wiser to ask here what is currently supported by linux eg for
> games etc (GL) or whatever.
>
> I cannot afford a top-of-the-range(tm) 3d card atm but was looking at an ATI
> expert 3d rage pro ?

The supported 3d acceleration hardware (free software) include:
Matrox G200/G400
3Dfx voodoo banshee/3
nVidia Riva128/TNT/TNT2
ATI RagePro

If you intend to use 3d accelerated games, I think the best choice for
you would be a Voodoo Banshee, or Voodoo3-2000, which you should be able
to find at prices similiar to a RagePro. The rest are more expensive.
>From my experience, the RagePro is not good enough for games (though you
might note that Carmack thinks otherwise).

To make this on-topic for svgalib, all those cards are supported by
svgalib with chipset specific drivers, except for Matrox cards, which
usually work with the VESA driver, but not always.