Re: Unable to do even 1024x768x256 on Voodoo3 3000 PCI

Search this archive.

From: Tony Nugent (tony@growzone.com.au)
Date: Wed 08 Dec 1999 - 19:30:48 IST

On Wed Dec 08 1999 at 08:10, "Evan G. Wolenzik" wrote:

> > I'm just wondering if anyone has built an rpm for 1.4.1 to go into a
> > redhat 6.1 system.  If so, then please let me know where I can get a
> > copy of them!  Many thanks.
>
> Please don't take this as an insult, but why is it that you Red Hat people
> are so dependent upon RPMs? It's easy enough to compile 1.4.1 on your own,
> and then you get the options that YOU want, not someone else's ideas. It
> should only take ~ 10 - 15 minutes. I'd say it's worth the wait.  :)

Several reasons...

- with an rpm, all the files go into the system and catalogued into a
  database.  I then have total control over every file in the package.

- easy to install, remove or upgrade entire packages (no matter how
  big or small the applications may be).

- I don't have the time to build lots and lots and lots of software.
  I'm a sysadmin, and I spend my time managing several hundred
  computers.  rpm packages make my life a hell of a lot easier, and
  things like upgrading to security bug-fixed updated versions become
  very simple to do.

- I don't mind using something that someone else built - especially if
  it's from a "trusted source".  RedHat packages are usually built to
  cater for almost all possible alternatives, and I've found this
  useful as the same package will work on different computers.  As a
  sysadmin, this isn't a trivial issue.  (I must admit that this is
  very different to a computer user/hacker at home.  I'm not managing
  just one computer, but a couple of dozen servers and many client
  boxes - and most of the linux boxes are essentially cloned redhat
  kickstart installs).

  If I really, REALLY want to modify the way a package is built and/or
  installed, I can get the .src.rpm (source rpm package), install it
  and then rebuilt the entire thing as an rpm after modifying the
  .spec file to suit (eg, add some patches to customise the build
  and/or install).  But this is time and effort - usually time I don't
  have.

- svgalib is a weird package to compile and install... last time I
  looked at it (not all that long ago), you had to do a "make install"
  to put the included header files into the system -- before the
  binaries were even built.  (I can't recall the exact details).

  As a result, building svgalib on a redhat box is difficult to do
  without trampling over any currently installed files, effectively
  "corrupting" your system's rpm database.  The only way I've been
  able to do it is to first remove any svgalib packages that may
  already be installed ("rpm -e --nodeps svgalib") and _then_ compile
  it.  After that I'm left with the task of hand-managing the files
  that were installed.  PITA.

  I've never looked at the .spec file to see how the svgalib packages
  have been built to get around this problem, but I suspect that 1.4.1
  wouldn't be too different from the current 1.4.0-2 version released
  with RH61.  I suspect that someone has tried to do it... I'd just
  like a copy of the result :)

  (BTW, two rpm packages... one with the actual library, the other
  with the development tools used to compile svgalib programs).

- if I do build and install any non-rpm-managed software, I make sure
  that the bulk of it gets intstalled into /usr/local/ - anthing
  that's in there is treated as non-rpm, but the rest of the system
  (except /etc /home /var /root) is "managed" and there isn't such a
  desperate need for backing it up and so on (it can all be easily
  re-installed and reconfigured from a kickstart installation).

There are lots of advantages to using a managed system.  I'm sure
debian people would agree too - they have their own system management
tools.  They really make life easier.

[This is getting a little off-topic here, so any more contributions to
this thread from me will be private.]

Cheers
Tony
  Tony Nugent <Tony@growzone.com.au>          Systems Administrator
  GrowZone OnLine       (a project of) GrowZone Development Network
  POBox 475 Toowoomba Oueensland Australia 4350    Ph: 07 4637 8322