RE: Unable to do even 1024x768x256 on Voodoo3 3000 PCI

Search this archive.

From: Michael Maher (mike@linux-workshop.com)
Date: Wed 08 Dec 1999 - 19:00:18 IST

> > I'm just wondering if anyone has built an rpm for 1.4.1 to go into a
> > redhat 6.1 system.  If so, then please let me know where I can get a
> > copy of them!  Many thanks.
>
> Please don't take this as an insult, but why is it that you Red Hat people
> are so dependent upon RPMs? It's easy enough to compile 1.4.1 on your own,
> and then you get the options that YOU want, not someone else's ideas. It
> should only take ~ 10 - 15 minutes. I'd say it's worth the wait.  :)

Hmm... let's see why.

1. Do I want to hunt all the files down from a tar ball, which I have no
way of knowing or do an rpm -e?

2. If something stops working do I guess what is wrong or do an rpm -V to
verify the checksums and file sizes?

3. If I come across a file do I say hey.. what is this file?? or do an rpm
-qf

4. Do I go through an annoying install process or type rpm -i

5. If I want to upgrade my stuff, how do you kow what rev you are using?

6. If you are building it, do you use RPM build direcectories and build
roots to keep things sane or just randomly overwrite your files as you
compile things?

People that don't think you need some sort of package management on your
system amaze me.  Why do people insist on living in the Church of Slakware
dark ages?

-mike