Newbie questions

Search this archive.

From: Brane Jovanovic (fangorn@EUnet.yu)
Date: Wed 11 Aug 1999 - 21:09:29 IDT

Hi everybody, I'm new on this list as well as in Linux. If this question is
not posted to the right place. I'm sorry. But I don't have any idea where do
ask it, so you'll just have to put on with this B?)
I've recently downloaded svgalib-1.4.0 & 1.4.1 pre-release (just in case)
and I've tried to make it work with my on-board VGA SiS 5597/5598 (at least
that is what it says under Windows - I had to use something before I joined
Linux community B( ) and AMI BIOS with VESA BIOS 2.0 extension.
Documentation says 1.4.0 has VESA support, but when I put chipset VESA in
/etc/vga/libvga.config I only get something about wrong chipset type and
list of supported types( and VESA is not listed ??). I've previously used
svgalib 1.2 which comes with the SlackWare Linux 3.2 (kernel 2.0.29). And
when I run vbetest from lrmi-0.6m directory it shows available modes
correctly (at least it looks OK), but freezes (or something - I can type
anything and I see what I type, but I'm unable to exit this "texteditor
mode") after choosing.
How can I make the 1.4.0 release work with VESA or 1.4.1 pre with either
VESA or SiS chipset? ( I think i installed it correctly - removed package
svgalib, make clean, make install, make demoprogs : errors where at mach.c
and something about kernel < 2.0.36 not supporting background).

If this was the wrong place to post this, I' sorry. Thanks anyway, Branislav
Jovanovic fangorn@EUnet.yu