Re: SVGAlib graphics cards

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (zivav@CS.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Tue 27 Apr 1999 - 19:16:23 IDT

> I know this is not a programming question, but I'm thinking about changing
> my computer, and I would like to know what cards are well supported
> under SVGAlib and Linux in general (preferably good and recent ones) or
> what companies support the Linux OS.

About Linux support in general - it is a fairly reasonable assumption that
every current chipset that is not already supported by XFree86 will soon
be supported. If not with an open source driver, at least with a zero cost
one.

About zero cost 3d, currently only Voodoo (1,2 and rush) are supported.
Vodoo banshee  and 3 will soon be supported. About nVidia - they comitted
to having TNT2 3d support, nothing else. Matrox G200 - I understand that
the 3d specs were released, so drivers might be written. Also there are
some early Mesa / Xgl drivers for permedia 2 based cards.

About svgalib support - none of the current generation cards are
supported, but many of them should be supported easily. Here's a list,
sorted by manufacturers:
* 3dfx - Voodoo rush supported (the actual 2d chipsets are by alliance or
macronix). Banshee and Voodoo 3 not yet supported, but there is a driver
that almost works.
* ATI - Rage Pro cards work. The driver needs minor changes for other
mach64 chipsets. Rage128 chipset not supported.
* Matrox - no support.
* nVidia - Riva128 supported, driver needs minor changes for TNT, and
probably for TNT2 as well.
* S3 - only some old chipsets are supported. virge and savage3d are not.
* SiS - no support.
* Trident - 9440 and 9680 supported. others probably not.

Note that all this info is without VESA driver. That driver is known to
work on Banshee, TNT, Matrox cards, Neomagic, i740 and others.

--
Matan Ziv-Av          zivav@cs.bgu.ac.il

Vote MAKI - the Israeli Communist party