Re: svgalib on kernel framebuffer?

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (zivav@CS.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Mon 26 Apr 1999 - 00:19:50 IDT

On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Mark Hahn wrote:
> is anyone working on an svgalib layered on the 2.2 kernel framebuffer?
> I don't know that there's any major advantage, though perhaps a few
> other cards might be supported.it does look like a nice framework...

There are some serious problems in writing an svgalib fb driver, mostly
due to the fact that you have to give up a lot of svgalib (console switch
handling, direct vga programming). Add the fact that there are very few
cards supported by fb (currently only matrox cards are well supported),
and you'll understand why I stoppped working on that. I'll be happy if
someone else does program such driver, though.
Note, that you can run svgalib programs on the fb by using ggi's fb target
and svgalib wrapper.

> (my interest is mainly just in gettinga linear fb whose timing I can
> control by program.acceleration is not especially useful to me...)

If you have a card supported by svgalib, with a driver that uses the
timing.c interface (vesa driver does not), then you can do that with
svgalib.

--
Matan Ziv-Av          zivav@cs.bgu.ac.il

Vote MAKI - the Israeli Communist party