help with daemon - svgalib problem (I think!)

Search this archive.

From: ivan@vianet.net.au
Date: Sun 11 Apr 1999 - 13:21:53 IDT

Hello again :)

Please forgive the size of this and the two attachments.  I realise that
this will inconvenience some people but I have no other forum to discuss
this matter (given that I believe it to be an svgalib problem) and the
attachments are necessary to anyone who is able and willing to assist.

I have written a programme (attached) which fork()'s two processes - one
process is to do nothing but read the mouse via mouse_update() and send
a message through a pipe when a mouse status change occurs.  This process
just sends fill characters (tilde) while waiting.

The other process reads the pipe until a mouse status change is indicated
then prints a message to stdout.

I compile as follows :  gcc -Wall -lvgagl -lvga -O3 -ocursord old_cursord.c
The unused variables will be used once I uncomment the close file descriptor
sections.

At this stage on my computer the message appears to be being sent correctly
but either is not received or is not acted on correctly for I receive no
output on stdout.

I have left many comments and debugging lines in place which may help (of
course, they may also hinder :).

I am using svgalib 1.3.0, gcc 2.7.2.3, lib6c (glibc) and kernel 2.0.34.
I have supplied this programme to someone else (JG) running kernel 2.2.3 and
svgalib 1.3.1 and apparently it compiles and runs perfectly.  The only
thing JG could suggest at this stage is that it is a fault with my
libvga.conf file which I have also attached for interested people to peruse.

The other reason to believe that it is an svgalib fault of some sort (probably
on my part) is that I have compiled and run successfully the pipe demonstration
from the Kernel Programmers Guide (Ch. 6) so obviously piping to one extent
or another is alive and well on my machine.

If it makes any difference I use the Debian/GNU Linux distribution, Slink
release (latest stable version).

I look forward to receiving any suggestions as I am completely stuck for the
moment.

TIA
Ivan.