Re: mmap + 1.3.2 wishlist

Search this archive.

From: Christian Groessler (cpg@aladdin.de)
Date: Wed 06 Jan 1999 - 00:00:58 IST

Hi,

On 22/12/98 21:47:14 Matan Ziv-Av wrote:

>I'm trying to change svgalib, so that /dev/mem can be closed at the
>same time that root privileges are given up.

Good idea!

>The way I did it (that requires changing the drivers) is mmapping the
>64k buffer at a0000 and the linear frame buffer in vga_init, and then,
>wherever there was an mmap of /dev/mem, I substituted one of the
>pointers.

So every driver must be changed to get these things at vga_init() time :-(
But it seems to be needed to fix the problem.

>This works great for banked memory access (zgv, quake2).
>The problem is that testlinear fails with a SegFault. I tried a
>simpler program that uses linear, and found out that if I use the
>exact mmap in my program, It worked, i.e.
>vbuf=mmap(...); works, while
>vbuf=LINEAR_POINTER; fails.

What is LINEAR_POINTER? The virtual address of the linear buffer
mapped at vga_init() time?

>If anyone can tell me the reason, or has another idea for closing
>/dev/mem at initialization time, I'd like to hear it.

No idea, but a question: -)
Is this modified (test-) version available. I would like to check it out,
too.

regards,
chris