freeing graphics contexts

Search this archive.

From: ivan@vianet.net.au
Date: Sat 03 Apr 1999 - 16:53:33 IDT

Hello again,

I have just started working with virtual contexts and have noticed that I
cannot use gl_freecontext() to release the memory allocated by
gl_allocatecontext() unless the context is a virtual context.

This wouldn't be a problem except that, following the example given in
testgl.c (/demos of the source installation) I also allocate a context for
the physical screen.

The source shows that gl_allocatecontext() is a call to malloc() and so I
assume, for proper memory management, I should release all memory allocated.

How then do I change the physical context to a virtual context for the
purposes of freeing memory ?  Or maybe I should use free() for the physical
screen ?

Using free() seems to defeat the purpose of having gl_freecontext() and the
fact that gl_freecontext() explicitly requires a virtual context indicates
some danger in just calling free().

BTW I notice the documentation for gl_getcontext() in fact recommends freeing
memory using free() and does not mention gl_freecontext() at all.  Is this
an error in the documentation ?

TIA

Ivan.