RE: i740

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (zivav@CS.bgu.ac.il)
Date: Mon 08 Mar 1999 - 16:18:34 IST

> > Is anybody plan to implement suopport for Intel 740 graphic
> > accelerator into SVGAlib?
>
> I don't think that is possible given the fact that Intel won't
> disclose the specs for this chipset. But it might work with
> VESA emulation.

I got one report on an i740 based card working with the VESA driver, and
none of not working.

> On the chapter of svgalib VESA support: is it just me or is it
> really slow? Is there somebody working on native support of new
> chipsets (even not _that_ new: matrox millenium II)?

VESA driver's speed depends on what you use. Of the operations that are
commonly used, only bank switching is slower on VESA (since this and
plette setting are about the only things svgalib does after setting the
graphics mode, and palette is handled the same on all vga cards).
I have tested quakeII and zgv on an nv3, with both the native driver and
the VESA driver and there was no speed  difference. On the other hand on
svgatennis (which does random pixel setting), the difference is huge.

On Matrox's cards support: All the info needed is there and writing a
driver is _very easy_ - around 15 hours to understand vga programming, and
then 10 to actually write the driver. Yet I see many complaints about no
matrox driver for vgalib, but no one sits to write one.
I will certainly not buy any old matrox card, and probably not a new one
(g200) as well, since I'm interested in games performance (specifically
EA's fifa99), and I hear that G200 does badly in that area.

--
Matan Ziv-Av          zivav@cs.bgu.ac.il

Vote MAKI - the Israeli Communist party