Video cards

Search this archive.

From: albert e martinez eet stnt (aem2564@megahertz.njit.edu)
Date: Mon 01 Feb 1999 - 21:35:33 IST

	I need help in choosing a video card for a lintel box I'll be
building this week.  I've been to the XFree86 site and downloaded tons of
info but that still isn't enough to chose a card.  I was thinking of
getting a card based on ATI Rage Pro, RIVA TNT, or Permedia 2.  I'm not
sure how these chips, or cards containing these chips, compare to each
other.  I'm guessing that the Rage Pro is the slowest of the three.  I see
that the ATI and Permedia cards have their own servers where as the TNT
uses the SVGA server.  I've read that the TNT has little support.  It
runs, but, the acceleration is poor.  What's more, I've read that MESA
will support Permedia 2 someday "soon".  Also, it's supported by
commercial OpenGLs.  So, I'm leaning towards the Permidia 2 cards.  But,
the TNT has twice the memory.  But, I've seen benchmarks that show the
ELSA Synergy to very very fast.  But, those were windoze bench marks.

	The problem is that I haven't found any Linux video card
performance tests and I don't have the experience to chose a video card,
but I'd like to have good 3D. If any body has any ideas or you've actually
used some of these cards, or others, please help.

TIA,
	AL

P.S.	I didn't mention Matrox becuase they fair poorly in windoze bench
marks and the video quality isn't that good, so I've read.  On the other
hand, I've read that it's very well supported.  So, if you have any info
on Matrox cards let me have it.