Re: S3 support in svgalib

Search this archive.

From: David Monro (davidm@fuzzbox.ml.org)
Date: Tue 22 Dec 1998 - 23:47:55 IST

All I can add to this thread is that my 4M ViRGE/VX has this dark screen
problem, but otherwise appears to work, at least for 8 bit modes. (The standard
bios modes below 640x480 all work fine of course). I've had a bit of a play
with the code and have gotten precisely nowhere. I'm slightly puzzled about the
whole problem, since according to XFree86 the ramdac is treated as a trio64
ramdac, which I think is how svgalib treats it as well. Must be something
subtle I haven't noticed in the XFree code somewhere (I did notice that it
calculated some of the clock registers slightly differently, but hacking it to
make it the same made no difference whatever to the display, and IIRC for the
cases I was trying the values were going to be the same whichever code it
used). Of course if it is part of the graphics processor code instead of the
ramdac code I wouldn't have noticed it, so that might be the next thing for me
to look at (but I don't have enough disk to unpack my xfree tree at the moment,
so that will have to wait).

Odd side note - specifying 'dac_8_bit' in the XF86Config for XF86_SVGA 3.3.3
produces the following slightly confusing output:
(**) SVGA: Option flag "dac_8_bit" is not defined for this driver
(**) SVGA: Using 8 bits per color component
(**) SVGA: Using 8 bpp, Depth 8, Color weight: 888

where not specifying it produces:
(**) SVGA: Using 8 bpp, Depth 8, Color weight: 666

Go figure :-)

	David