Re: svgalib and verite chipsets.

Search this archive.

From: Conan Ford (cford@cnnet.com)
Date: Mon 12 Oct 1998 - 00:19:31 IST

Matan Ziv-Av wrote:

> > I tried the VESA driver in 1.3.1 of svgalib.  It causes a blank screen
> > when activated.
>
> I believe that can be fixed. Please make sure you have the latest
> version (from 19-09-1998), and try running the program vbetest in the
> lrmi-0.5m subdirectory, and report to me what th results are.
> If it leaves your screen blank, mode3 from the same directory might
> restore text mode.

Okay, here's what I got:

vbetest in all modes that I tried resulted in a blank screen.  mode3 had
no effect.  I've sent a message to subscribe to the linux-svgalib
mailing list at vger.rutgers.edu.  I'm going to play around with the
rest of the modes that I didn't try yet in vbetest.

> > Unfortunately the lack of good drivers for Rendition Vxx00 slows my
> > frames per second in Quakeworld to 10 from 23 in the Windows 95
> > version.  :).  I do know that SuSE does have an X server; I use it
>
> Unfortunately, even if there will be an svgalib driver , it won't help
> quake, since it uses 3D acceleration under Win95, and those are
> unavailable anyway under Linux.

Actually I run in software mode in win95 as well.  In LINUX it is a
problem with the card as I can visibly see the screen updating (I can
see the changes propogate from top to bottom).  I get 23 fps in
_software_ mode in win95, and 10 fps in svgalib in linux in quakeworld.

> > (XFCom_Rendition).  Perhaps someday the work done in the X Server will
> > be adaptable to svgalib.
>
> It is adaptable once the source of the server is available, but it
> takes someone who has the card and a few hours to spare, and those are
> hard to find :-)

I have a Diamond Stealth II S220  (Rendition V2100 chip), and more than
a few hours to spare over the next few months, and although I am
experienced with C programming, know little about hardware programming.