Re: S3 support in svgalib

Search this archive.

From: Dr. Michael Weller (eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de)
Date: Tue 22 Dec 1998 - 13:01:26 IST

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Bob McCracken wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My ViRGE VX is fully supported by XFree86 3.3.3 and 3.3.2, but is still
> unsupported in the recently released svgalib-1.3.1. (I deduced this from
> the README and RELEASE files. -- I haven't compiled it yet.)
>
> Inasmuch as Harm Hanemaayer did the ViRGE work for XFree86, I don't
> understand why that support has not been incorporated into svgalib. (At
> the suggestion of Koen Gadeyne I tried last year to do it myself, but
> I didn't, and don't, have enough video card expertise to understand all
> the obscure XFree86 code.)

Well, I don't understand this myself. I'm tad confused too, because Harm
usually does more Cirrus than S3 stuff. I know, however, he has/had some
RL problems and was away from the net & linux at all. This might explain
this strange situation.

Honestly, I don't have much time myself either as I'm now really busy with
renovation of my flat/house and getting furniture and stuff. In addition I
never had an S3 card (well, no really specific reason, it just never
happened). Hence, I can't help here directly.

> I have to use "chipset VGA" in libvga.config, because using "S3" or letting
> it autodetect gives me a gamma setting so dark I can only the perceive the
> presence of an image with the room lights off. I therefore have no idea of
> the quality of the image.

>From what you describe, if the image itself is ok, 'just' very dark. I
assume your S3 has an 8bit per R/G/B RAMDAC and either the S3 chipset or
the svgalib driver does not know about and does not make the necessary
modifications to transfer 6bit color values to 8bit. As a result, every
color is too dark by a factor a little bit larger than 4.

> FYI, /proc/pci reports:
>
> PCI devices found:
> [...]
> Bus  0, device   9, function  0:
>   VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. ViRGE/VX (rev 2).
>     Medium devsel. IRQ 5. Master Capable. Latency=96. Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=255.
>     Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x78000000.
> [...]

Sorry that I can't help more,
Michael.

--