A question about setfont and a riddle about a clockchip

Search this archive.

From: Matan Ziv-Av (matan@arava.co.il)
Date: Fri 07 Aug 1998 - 08:11:03 IDT

Hello,

No. 1:
The problem with the svgalib driver on a few chipsets
(cirrus logic, MX86251, some S3 at least), is somewhere in
the font restoring, so that after returning to text mode, all one has
to do is to run /usr/bin/setfont.

The problem is where to put the call to /usr/bin/setfont
if I put it at the end of the function restoretextmode in vga.c
it works only after leaving the program, it does not work when
changing to another virtual console.

I tried in the function __svgalib_releasevt_signal in vga.c (and
vgabgvt.c) both just before and just after the call to
__svgalib_flipaway(), but both don't work.

Does anybody know where should the call to /usr/bin/setfont take
place?

No. 2:
I am writing a driver for MX86251 chipset, which uses an internal
programmable clock, but I don't have information about the way the
clock programming is done, only the following table:
(view with a fixed width font)
n      m      clock
0xe1   0x06   25MHz
0xf6   0x59   28MHz
0xf0   0xde   40MHz
0xa1   0x06   50MHz
0x1c   0x4d   77MHz
0x3e   0x4d   36MHz
0x26   0x15   45MHz
0x8c   0x3a  130MHz
0x94   0x57  120MHz
0xb0   0xde   80MHz
0xe2   0x0c   31MHz
0x92   0x48  110MHz
0xac   0x3a   65MHz
0x14   0x36   75MHz
0x1f   0x68   94MHz

If anyone can deduce the formula for the calculation of the clock,
or (even better) has information about this chipset, please
enlighten me.

Matan Ziv-Av.        zivav@cs.bgu.ac.il