Re: Make process, suggestions

Search this archive.

From: Dr. Michael Weller (eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de)
Date: Fri 17 Jul 1998 - 16:14:29 IDT

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998 glennm@mediaone.net wrote:

> > It is important of course, that it works well with a.out and ELF.
> > Although a.out is pretty much dead, there are still applications out which
>
> libtool can handle a.out on its own.

Hmm.. I can't believe it. This is a GNU applications, isn't it? a.out
shared libs were never a gnu thing, this is a linux specific, and it is
not maintained anymore, I doubt there is anyone out except me who still
has a set of working tools to build a working a.out shared lib. (and I
doubt it will work if I installed yet another new gcc)

> > Yep, actually a problem is that there are many options just made in the
> > makefile and they don't lead automatically to the right modules rebuild.
> > In a sense that is a feature as it allows to keep an a.out shared lib and
> > rebuild the ELF one in addition.
>
> I'm not quite following what you're saying here, sorry ...

*grin* I was not too clear here, indeed, well forget it. A problem with
emails is you just write down some thoughts, and in the end they don't
make too much sense.

> I'll put my current package on ftp://glennm.ne.mediaone.net/svgalib.
> It's not quite complete: it compiles, but I havn't implemented the
> documentation (automake handles installation of man pages, etc, automatically.)
> That's relatively trivial, of course.
>
> You can get automake, libtool and autoconf from prep.ai.mit.edu,
> by the way.

Well, now, I know this sounds pretty arrogant, but it is simply how things
are for me:

I just don't have the time to do that. I understand you like these
autoconf and stuff things and are on a 'holy mission' to tell anyone how
good they are, and probably you are right. But after some time I
understand the current Makefiles (which I didn't wrote) and was able to
remove most problems with different versions of gmake and such, for even
those plain simple Makefiles.  I don't have the time to throw them away
and write a new make procedure, regardless how nifty all these tools might
be. I can only spent a few hours per week on this, and even this results
in problems for me.

I can't do anything else then collect svgalib patches at a central
location. I can't go and collect tools and ideas from everywhere and
hammer this together to get something working. I know this is bad for
svgalib, as it will lead to no further development, but I just don't have
the time and there is noone else willing to collect patches and keep an
eye on support for the old a.out applications, so what.

If you can send me a patch and it does actually work, I'm happy to add it,
but I can't do anything more. I just don't have the time, sorry.

Of course, also, I won't object if someone takes maintenance over, I'd be
happy to be releived of this, maybe code some other fun stuff instead in
the time spared. It should be someone who's really interested in keeping
support for the already existing stuff too, though.

Michael.

--

Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math..uni-essen.de,
or even mat42b@spi.power.uni-essen.de. If you encounter an eowmob account on