Re: hi, i get this error when trying to compile svgalib 1.3.0

Search this archive.

From: Dr. Michael Weller (eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de)
Date: Mon 13 Jul 1998 - 13:52:39 IDT

[Didn't I mention the use of linux-svgalib@vger.rutgers.edu in the RELEASE
file?]

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, flewid wrote:

> system:
>
> 486dx4-100, 16 meg ram, glibc2, slackware 3.4
[...]
> make: *** [sharedlib/libvga.so.1.3.0] Error 2
> root@osmosis:(/usr/src/svgalib)$

Yep, there are problems compiling under glibc, mostly in the lrmi.c, a
major reason is that svgalib was already glibc compatible, but this is a
new module. I already received a fix (attached) from Scott Stone. I had no
time to check it but it is supposed to make things at least compile with
glibc. I'll join it with my source tree ASAP (probably I've to care ti
also compile w/o glibc then) and redistribute. W/o guarantees have fun
with Scott's fixes in the meantime.

> Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 20:03:15 +0000
> From: "Greg S. Hayes" <sdc@choice.net>
> To: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de
> Subject: Svgalib 1.3 on glib-c problems

> Excelent work on svga lib. However, after I do a make clean and a make
*Grin* Isn't it always the same, first you praise it, then you tell it
doesn't work at all.. ;-)  Well, at least it's nice to see that someone at
least honour the efforts.
> install on my glibc system I get an interesting error at...
[...]
> What does lrmi.c do? Tell me more about the addition of VESA, does this

It tries to perform BIOS calls from linux. This way it tries to use VESA.
VESA, seen from protected mode, SUCKS! It is by far not able to do what
svgalib requires. Anyway, this is a try, and it works, if the VESA driver
is nicely behaved. Please see the svgalib docs about the VESA topic or
contact the author. OK, he knows not much more, he just got it from:

(cite from 0-README)
       The  ability  to  call  16  bit  BIOS comes from a package
       called lrmi that Matan lost the URL for, but is  available
       from <http://www.arava.co.il/at3d/lrmi-0.1.tar.gz>

> mean svga lib will be able to use drivers provided by the manufacturer
> like ggi?

Well, any manufacturer can write an svgalib module, they even could
provide an (binary only) .o file just to be linked agains it (which is
much, much simpler here than in kernel mode). Also, svgalib has a well
defined set of functions to call now, when used for only one card, it will
almost only consist of a driver for their card with a well defined API.
Well, they didn't do it. VESA is another way, but as said above, it has
it's problems (which are too technical to explain here). It would help if
they would just code a 'well behaved' VESA driver, or better yet, define a
VESA standard which REALLY CAN be called from protected mode.

> Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 14:09:13 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Yiannis <ipm@soc.unl.ac.uk>
> To: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de
> Subject: Problems with svgalib..

> Hi,
> while trying to compile the new version of svgalib on my linux box i get
> the following

> In file included from
> /usr/src/GNU/svgalib-1.3.0/src/clockchip/icd2061a.c:20:
> /usr/include/asm/system.h:40: parse error before `('
> make[1]: *** [clockchip/icd2061a.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/GNU/svgalib-1.3.0/sharedlib'
> make: *** [sharedlib/libvga.so.1.3.0] Error 2

> i use a 2.1.109 kernel and egcs version 1.0.3 ..what could be the
> problem?

Pretty much obviously an incompatibility with your system header files.
Right now I'd like to see it as yet another glibc problem. Probably very
simple to cure, but I don't have all your system headers, and it must be
ensured it does not break compilation for others in return. I'd say we'll
see if the glibc patches fix it, if not we'll dig deeper in there.

I've no clue about what egcs is at all.. would it modify the system header
files?

> Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 12:21:26 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Iftikhar Rathore <mawali@news.icns.com>
> To: linux-svgalib@vger.rutgers.edu
> Cc: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de
> Subject: 1.3.0, and lrmi.c

> I am trying to compile 1.3.0 with glibc2, but still get the same error I
> got with patched version.
[...]
Ok, same problem.

> /home/root/svgalib-1.3.0/src/lrmi.c: In function `__svgalib_vm86old':
> /home/root/svgalib-1.3.0/src/lrmi.c:36: `__NR___svgalib_vm86old'
> undeclared (first use this function)
> /home/root/svgalib-1.3.0/src/lrmi.c:36: (Each undeclared identifier is
> reported only once

> The libc5 version works great with matrox mellinium II, with VESA, But I
Ah, this is finally good news. So for the VESA support, we now have 2
cards of 4 working.

Michael.

--

Michael Weller: eowmob@exp-math.uni-essen.de, eowmob@ms.exp-math.uni-essen.de,